Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Making Crayons

Crayons are fun to make! Crayons are easy to make! Fun shaped crayons are a thousand more times fun to draw with than regular crayons and when they have swirly awesome colors they are ever more fun! 


Supplies: Crayons and a Mold 

The mold I used is from Ikea for 2 dollars.
Take all those little itty bitty crayon bits from the bottom of the crayon box or de-paper big crayons and break them into small pieces. Let your little helpers put all those small bits into the molds.


Put some foil down (or use a cheap pan that you don't mind if it gets ruined because you are all out of foil....) to save your oven from crayon goo!! Pre-heat the oven to 250 and let those crayons cook for about 10 to 15 minuets.


Once all the crayons are melted down pull those bad boys out of the oven and let them chill. At this point I left the crayons to cool down and took the boys out to eat and run out more Spring Break/No-Longer-Sick Energy.


Once we returned to the Castle we popped those fishy crayons right out of the mold and broke their little fishy tails right off!


On a second try I ran the mold under some hot water 
and then the fish crayons (tails and all) popped right out. 

 
And look how cute they are!


I'm already seeing the potential for the Littlest Boo's birthday party: Digger Shaped Crayons! And look molds

Oh, yes, those broken fish? I saved them! I put them back into the mold and made a second batch of crayons. Their tails reattached perfectly. =)

Beware though, any mold you do use will be forever a crayon mold as the crayon will stick to it's sides.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I was searching to see if I could use the Ikea molds to make crayons so this post was perfect for me!!! I even have the fish mold already! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete